Saturday, June 19, 2010

How To: Artichokes

Here's how I steam artichokes, a favorite vegetable of mine!

1. Remove discolored leaves; trim stem even with base.


2. Cut 1 inch off top and discard. Snip off points of the remaining leaves with scissors. Rinse with cold water. Optional: To prevent discoloration, dip into 1 quart cold water mixed with 1 tablespoon lemon juice.

3. Steam top down for 20 to 25 minutes or until bottom is tender when pierced with a knife.


4. Enjoy with something on the side. We prefer melted butter. My husband sometimes dips them in mayonnaise (ew, haha).


Bon Appétit


-Katie


2 comments:

Jamie Willow said...

wonderful! I remember my mom used to make them, we would dip them in mayo with cayenne pepper mixed in...spicy! melted butter sounds good too.

great photos! can't wait to make my own!

Katie Beth said...

Awesome! Enjoy, Jamie! I absolutely love artichokes. There are ways to oven roast and boil them too, but I just stick to steam....