Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Steak Fajitas With Peppers & Onions

Hello Fellow Chefs!

Last month (I think) I was reading through one of my favorite publications....Parenting Magazine. Weird? Maybe but I adore that magazine. Anyway, I came across a couple recipes that looked good, I ran them by my super picky husband and he said he'd be willing to guinea pig it with me, and that is where this recipe comes in.

It was surprisingly good. I really liked it. Super picky husband even liked it. He wasn't too keen on the bell peppers (what a weirdo, haha), but did say he would eat it again. Woo!

Here's the dirty details:

Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 45 minutes (1 hour resting)
Serves: 4

Ingredients:

1/4 cup fresh lime juice*
3 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
4 teaspoons dark brown sugar
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced, divided
2 teaspoons finely chopped cilantro
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 lb skirt steak, cut crosswise into 3 to 4 pieces
8 (8-inch) flour tortillas
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded and sliced in 1/3 inch strips
1 large yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded and sliced in 1/3 inch strips
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Optional toppings:
Salsa, sour cream, sliced avocado or guacamole, lime edges, cheese

What to do:

1. Whisk together the lime juice, 2 Tbsp olive oil, soy sauce, brown sugar, half the garlic, and cumin. Pour into zip lock bag, add the steak, and marinate at room temperature for 1 hour, turning the bag occasionally.

2. Preheat oven to 325*. Wrap stacked tortillas tightly in foil; warm for 15 minutes.

3. Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high/ Remove the steak from marinade, and let excess drip off. Season with 1/4 tsp each of the salt and pepper. Grill to desired doneness. Transfer steak to a cutting board, tent with foil, and let rest for 5 minutes.

4. While steak is grilling, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil and the sliced peppers and onions. Sauté stirring often, 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly charred. Add the remaining garlic in the final minute, season with the remaining 1/2 tsp salt.

5. Thinly slice steak on the diagonal, across the grain. Transfer to one side of a serving platter an pile the veggie mixture on the other side. Arrange the toppings in small bowls, wrap the tortillas in a soft towel, and let everyone make their own fajitas at the table. Serve with black beans and rice.

I did take a picture, with my cell phone, of the platter (because it looked fab)....too bad it was very small and not at all worth sharing. This is a fantastic recipe though, I recommend everyone give it a try!

*Chef's note: I bought 3 limes and used 2 1/2 to get the 1/4 cup lime juice and the last 1/2 for the top of the fajitas. I have a citrus juicer that gets every drop out of the rind, so if you plan to squeeze by hand, you might get 4 or 5 limes.

Bon Appétit


Katie

1 comment:

ASB said...

I just made them tonight for dinner - I loved them! D thought they were a little sweet, so next time I'll cut the lime juice a little. I think I overdid it anyway, because we used 2/3 pound of meat, but the same 1/4 cup lime juice. Yum though - thanks! Going to make them again sometime.